Ross Park Attractions
Located within Binghamton’s historic Ross Park, The Discovery Center of the Southern Tier and Ross Park Zoo have been family staples in Greater Binghamton for generations.
As one of the oldest zoos in the US, the Ross Park Zoo has been dedicated to education, conservation, and community engagement for more than 145 years. While just a parking lot away, The Discovery Center, a hands-on children’s museum features 40+ interactive exhibits both inside and outside of the Museum.
Binghamton's Only Hands-On Children's Museum
Serving the Southern Tier of New York and Northeastern Pennsylvania, The Discovery Center’s exhibits, themes and ambiance are community specific while leaving a wide margin for global discovery.
“We offer diversion; we offer fun; we offer love and a happy day. Come often, stay as long as you’d like and enjoy every minute. And know that everyone has a special place in our hearts.”
Pokey Crocker, Executive Director 1988-2016
We dedicated our Kids Commons addition to facilitate weekday preschool activities, summer camps and weekend programming.
Our Board of Directors
The Finance Assistant is responsible for DCST’s internal bookkeeping. The FA works with the DCST’s third party, off-site Controller, providing reconciled payable/receivable account data, assigning appropriate General Ledger codes, and reporting revenue. The FA handles all incoming revenue and makes deposits. As needed, the FA will provide financial reports to the Executive Director and other
Director level staff.
Duties and responsibilities
- Reconcile receipts to invoices/credit card statements and assign appropriate general ledger codes. Follow-up with staff as needed
- Making deposits for all agency revenue
- Receiving and processing mail
- Invoicing and accounts receivable
- Submitting internal bookkeeping data to third-party Controller
- Basic clerical work and inter-office support, including purchasing/ordering supplies
- Making online payments and updating vendor information
- Regular communication with the Executive Director and third-party Controller
- Other duties as assigned to support DCST operations
Qualifications and Experience
- 3-5 years experience in bookkeeping for a non-profit or small business. Associate’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or Finance is preferred.
- Ability to problem-solve and articulate ideas and concerns within the Finance department
- Demonstrable written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Comfortable working collaboratively with the Executive Director, the Boards of Directors, staff, committee members, and other supporters/volunteers
- Ability to work independently
- Organizational and time management skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Experience in non-profit accounting preferred
- Provide appropriate data and reports to the Controller, lending support to the annual financial audit
- Commitment to agency financial policies and procedures
- Proficiency using Microsoft Excel, Word, and Google Drive
- Familiarity with QuickBooks, Point of Sale, and fundraising software is a plus
The position is a flexible, 20-30 hours per week, non-exempt, and reports to the Executive Director. Salary is based on experience.
Submit inquiries, resume/cover letters to the DCST’s Executive Director, Brenda Myers, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 607-773-8661.
The Discovery Center of the Southern Tier seeks a Preschool Lead Teacher to develop and implement educational programs in a preschool setting for 3-4 year old children. In this role, you will create lesson plans and syllabi for a classroom of up to eighteen (18) children. You will be responsible for consistently monitoring all children to ensure safety.
The ideal candidate will be creative, a team player, have an ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment, and have an understanding of issues that may arise with young children. Additionally, the ideal candidate will have proven experience in planning curriculum for and management of a preschool classroom.
- Associate’s degree in Early Childhood, Child Development or related field
Child Development Associate (CDA) credential or other OCFS recognized credential specific to the preschool developmental period AND one year experience related to caring for children
Nine (9) college credits in Early Childhood, Child Development or a related field, with a plan of study leading to a CDA credential or Associate’s Degree in Early Childhood, Child Development or a related field AND two years’ experience related to caring for children
- Knowledge of lesson planning, development and implementation
- Classroom management skills for preschool age children
- 5+ years of teaching experience
- 2+ years of curriculum development
- Monday-Friday, 7:30AM-3:30PM during the school year (September-June) with breaks for holidays
- This position is nonexempt and reports to the Director of Education
- Please send an updated resume, cover letter, and email@example.com
The position of teaching assistant provides aide and support to the pre-school teacher to provide a high quality program for children ages 3-5.
- Provides additional oversight of pre-school age children by assisting teachers with classroom and outdoor activities
- Assure that all children are monitored consistently for safety purposes.
- Aide in curriculum development and education program planning along with teacher and Education Director as necessary.
- Complete classroom paperwork as necessary
- Maintaining compliance with all Office of Child and Service regulations
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Prior experience working with children in a classroom environment helpful
- Creative and fun loving
- Ability to multitask in a fast paced environment
- Patience and understanding of issues that may arise with small children
- $13.50/ hour base wage
- One position 30-35 hours a week; One position part time with the availability for more hours
- One position 8AM – 3PM; one position 2:30PM – 6PM
- This position reports directly to the Education Director
Please send an updated resume, cover letter, and three (3) professional references to Director of Education, Kristy Wales at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Discovery Center of the Southern Tier seeks a Teaching Assistant for our Kids Club School Age Childcare Program, to assist in the implementation of educational programs in the classroom setting for school age children from 5 to 12 years old. In this role, you will assist the lead teacher of the program with lessons and provide oversight for the safety of the children. In this time of virtual learning we will also be providing support for children attending school remotely during their time at The Discovery Center. The teaching assistant will be responsible for ensuring a safe, clean and calm classroom environment to allow children to benefit fully from their virtual school experience.
The ideal candidate will be creative, have an ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment, and an understanding of issues that may arise with young children.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- One year experience working with children less than 13 years of age
- Associate’s Degree or higher in an Education field
- 2+ years of experience in working with children
- $13.50/ hour
- Days to be determined, (Monday-Friday hours of program are 7:30AM – 6PM).
- We can be flexible with college schedules.
- This position is nonexempt and reports to the Director of Education.
Please send an updated resume, cover letter, and three (3) professional references to Director of Education, Kristy Wales at email@example.com. Call 607 773-8661 x 209 with any questions.
Must be available 2 weekends per month, Saturdays or Sundays.