Ross Park Attractions
Co-located within Binghamton’s historic Ross Park, The Discovery Center of the Southern Tier and Ross Park Zoo have been family staples in Greater Binghamton for generations.
As one of the oldest zoos in the US, the Ross Park Zoo has been dedicated to education, conservation, and community engagement for more than 145 years. While just a parking lot away, The Discovery Center, a hands-on children’s museum features 40+ interactive exhibits both inside and outside of the Museum.
Binghamton's Only Hands-On Children's Museum
Serving the Southern Tier of New York and Northeastern Pennsylvania, The Discovery Center’s exhibits, themes and ambiance are community specific while leaving a wide margin for global discovery.
“We offer diversion; we offer fun; we offer love and a happy day. Come often, stay as long as you’d like and enjoy every minute. And know that everyone has a special place in our hearts.”
Pokey Crocker, Executive Director 1988-2016
We dedicated our Kids Commons addition to facilitate weekday preschool activities, summer camps and weekend programming.
Our Board of Directors
The Discovery Center of the Southern Tier seeks a Preschool Lead Teacher to develop and implement educational programs in a preschool setting for 3-4 year old children. In this role, you will create lesson plans and syllabi for a classroom of up to fifteen children. You will be responsible for consistently monitoring all children to ensure safety.
The ideal candidate will be creative, a team player, have an ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment, and have an understanding of issues that may arise with young children. Additionally, the ideal candidate will have proven experience in planning curriculum for and management of a preschool classroom. This candidate will have the ability to develop and maintain good working relationships with children and their families.
- Associate’s degree in Early Childhood, Child Development or related field
Child Development Associate (CDA) credential or other OCFS recognized credential specific to the preschool developmental period AND one year experience related to caring for children
Nine (9) college credits in Early Childhood, Child Development or a related field, with a plan of study leading to a CDA credential or Associate’s Degree in Early Childhood, Child Development or a related field AND two years’ experience related to caring for children
- Knowledge of lesson planning, development and implementation
- Classroom management skills for preschool age children
- 5+ years of teaching experience
- 2+ years of curriculum development
- Monday-Friday, 7:30AM-12:30PM during the school year (September-June) with breaks for holidays
- This position is nonexempt and reports to the Director of Education
- Please send an updated resume, cover letter, and three (3) professional references to: Kristy Wales Director of Education firstname.lastname@example.org
The Discovery Center of the Southern Tier seeks a Teaching Assistant for our Kids Club After School Program, to assist in the implementation of educational programs in the classroom setting for school age children from 5 to 12 years old. In this role, you will assist the lead teacher of the program with lessons and provide oversight for the safety of the children. In this time of virtual learning we will also be providing support for children attending school remotely during their time at The Discovery Center. The teaching assistant will be responsible for ensuring a safe, clean and calm classroom environment to allow children to benefit fully from their virtual school experience.
The ideal candidate will be creative, have an ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment, and an understanding of issues that may arise with young children.
● High school diploma or equivalent
● One year experience working with children less than 13 years of age
● Associate’s Degree or higher in an Education field
● 2+ years of experience in working with children
● Days to be determined, (Monday-Friday hours of program are 8AM – 6PM).
● We can be flexible with college schedules.
● This position is nonexempt and reports to the Director of Education.
● Please send an updated resume, cover letter, and three (3) professional references to:
The position of Substitute Teacher Assistant assumes the responsibilities of the regular teacher assistant by supporting the pre-school or afterschool teachers and programs in an as needed capacity.
This position reports directly to the Education Director.
– Help classroom teacher implement lesson plans for that specific day
– Assure that all children are monitored consistently for safety purposes
– Help keep classroom running efficiently and effectively
– High School Diploma
– Prior experience working with children in a classroom environment helpful.
– Combination of Education and Experience considered
– Creativity and fun loving
– Ability to multitask in a fast paced environment
– Patience and understanding of issues that may arise with small children
– Understanding and ability to implement lesson plans
– Time management skills
Please send a Cover Letter, a Copy of your Resume, 3 recent references, and 3 letters of recommendation to:
The Discovery Center
Attn: Kristy Wales, Director of Education
60 Morgan Rd.
Binghamton, NY 13903
If you have any questions about this position, please email email@example.com,
or call (607) 773-8661 x 209.