Ross Park Attractions
Located within Binghamton’s historic Ross Park, The Discovery Center of the Southern Tier and Ross Park Zoo have been family staples in Greater Binghamton for generations.
As one of the oldest zoos in the US, the Ross Park Zoo has been dedicated to education, conservation, and community engagement for more than 145 years. While just a parking lot away, The Discovery Center, a hands-on children’s museum features 40+ interactive exhibits both inside and outside of the Museum.
Binghamton's Only Hands-On Children's Museum
Serving the Southern Tier of New York and Northeastern Pennsylvania, The Discovery Center’s exhibits, themes and ambiance are community specific while leaving a wide margin for global discovery.
“We offer diversion; we offer fun; we offer love and a happy day. Come often, stay as long as you’d like and enjoy every minute. And know that everyone has a special place in our hearts.”
Pokey Crocker, Executive Director 1988-2016
We dedicated our Kids Commons addition to facilitate weekday preschool activities, summer camps and weekend programming.
Our Board of Directors
Interim Executive Director
The Discovery Center of the Southern Tier seeks a Teaching Assistant for our Kids Club School Age Childcare Program, to assist in the implementation of educational programs in the classroom setting for school age children from 5 to 12 years old. In this role, you will assist the lead teacher of the program with lessons and provide oversight for the safety of the children. In this time of virtual learning we will also be providing support for children attending school remotely during their time at The Discovery Center. The teaching assistant will be responsible for ensuring a safe, clean and calm classroom environment to allow children to benefit fully from their virtual school experience.
The ideal candidate will be creative, have an ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment, and an understanding of issues that may arise with young children.
● High school diploma or equivalent
● One year experience working with children less than 13 years of age
● Associate’s Degree or higher in an Education field
● 2+ years of experience in working with children
● Days to be determined, (Monday-Friday hours of program are 7:30-6:00).
● We can be flexible with college schedules.
● This position is nonexempt and reports to the Director of Education
● Please send an updated resume, cover letter, and three (3) professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org or call Kristy Wales at 607-773-8661 x 209