Ross Park Attractions
Located within Binghamton’s historic Ross Park, The Discovery Center of the Southern Tier and Ross Park Zoo have been family staples in Greater Binghamton for generations.
As one of the oldest zoos in the US, the Ross Park Zoo has been dedicated to education, conservation, and community engagement for more than 145 years. While just a parking lot away, The Discovery Center, a hands-on children’s museum features 40+ interactive exhibits both inside and outside of the Museum.
Binghamton's Only Hands-On Children's Museum
Serving the Southern Tier of New York and Northeastern Pennsylvania, The Discovery Center’s exhibits, themes and ambiance are community specific while leaving a wide margin for global discovery.
“We offer diversion; we offer fun; we offer love and a happy day. Come often, stay as long as you’d like and enjoy every minute. And know that everyone has a special place in our hearts.”
Pokey Crocker, Executive Director 1988-2016
We dedicated our Kids Commons addition to facilitate weekday preschool activities, summer camps and weekend programming.
Our Board of Directors
Interim Executive Director
The position of teaching assistant provides aide and support to the pre-school teacher to provide a high quality program for children ages 3-5.
- Provides additional oversight of pre-school age children by assisting teachers with classroom and outdoor activities
- Assure that all children are monitored consistently for safety purposes.
- Aide in curriculum development and education program planning along with teacher and Education Director as necessary.
- Complete classroom paperwork as necessary
- Maintaining compliance with all Office of Child and Service regulations
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Prior experience working with children in a classroom environment helpful
- Creative and fun loving
- Ability to multitask in a fast paced environment
- Patience and understanding of issues that may arise with small children
- $13.50/ hour base wage
- One position 30-35 hours a week; One position part time with the availability for more hours
- One position 8AM – 3PM; one position 2:30PM – 6PM
- This position reports directly to the Education Director
Please send an updated resume, cover letter, and three (3) professional references to Director of Education, Kristy Wales at email@example.com.
The Discovery Center of the Southern Tier seeks a Teaching Assistant for our Kids Club School Age Childcare Program, to assist in the implementation of educational programs in the classroom setting for school age children from 5 to 12 years old. In this role, you will assist the lead teacher of the program with lessons and provide oversight for the safety of the children. In this time of virtual learning we will also be providing support for children attending school remotely during their time at The Discovery Center. The teaching assistant will be responsible for ensuring a safe, clean and calm classroom environment to allow children to benefit fully from their virtual school experience.
The ideal candidate will be creative, have an ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment, and an understanding of issues that may arise with young children.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- One year experience working with children less than 13 years of age
- Associate’s Degree or higher in an Education field
- 2+ years of experience in working with children
- $13.50/ hour
- Days to be determined, (Monday-Friday hours of program are 7:30AM – 6PM).
- We can be flexible with college schedules.
- This position is nonexempt and reports to the Director of Education.
Please send an updated resume, cover letter, and three (3) professional references to Director of Education, Kristy Wales at firstname.lastname@example.org. Call 607 773-8661 x 209 with any questions.