The Community Outreach Coordinator will supervise fundraising efforts for The Discovery Center of the Southern Tier and The Discovery Center of the Southern Tier Foundation in a manner that supports the missions of both organizations, as defined by the Board of Directors of the Foundation and of The Discovery Center. While serving as an employee of The Discovery Center, the Community Outreach Coordinator will seek out financial growth opportunities to ensure the long-term sustainability of the Children’s Museum.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in communications or a related field- or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- A minimum of 5 years of fundraising experience with at least 3 years with Annual Fund development
- Experience in event fundraising and exhibit support
- Knowledge of planned giving
- Proven experience in developing and implementing development strategies and plans
- Experience with Charityproud or a similar database system
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities
The Community Outreach Coordinator will possess the ability to identify, cultivate, and foster relationships with donors and sponsors; write grants, proposals, and financial request letters; and creatively secure funds needed to ensure the success of The Discovery Center. These sources include but are not limited to: individuals, foundations, businesses, corporations, and government sources. The Community Outreach Coordinator, along with the Executive Director and Foundation Board members when appropriate, will have the ability to meet with representatives of companies, businesses, and organizations to personally request collaborative efforts and funds.
The Community Outreach Coordinator will demonstrate the skills of teamwork and initiative while working with The Discovery Center Leadership Team and Discovery Center Foundation Board of Directors in developing a vision and strategic plan to guide the organization, and act as a professional advisor to the Foundation Board of Directors.
The Community Outreach Coordinator will have technical skills including professional experience using Microsoft Office, Charityproud, Canva, and social media platforms.
- Generate growth of the Endowment Fund of The Discovery Center of the Southern Tier Foundation
- Meet fundraising goals for planned campaigns, which are determined in collaboration with the Executive Director and the Foundation Board
- Coordinate all fundraising efforts and fostering a sense of collaboration with The Foundation Board, the Discovery Center’s Executive Director and The Discovery Center Board and setting realistic goals that do not conflict
- Develop new fundraising ideas and approaching individuals, schools, universities, local authorities, commercial organizations, and others for sponsorship and donations
- Communicating regularly and effectively with the President of the Foundation Board; and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all pertinent information, ensuring that the Foundation Board will function properly and make informed decisions
- Being a conduit of information for grant/funding sources/money that applies more specifically to The Discovery Center in general, and for pursuing those funds
- Managing the donor lists of both The Foundation and of The Discovery Center
- Acting as a spokesperson for The Discovery Center, writing official correspondence, and representing The Discovery Center at community activities when appropriate, to enhance the Museum’s community profile
The Community Outreach Coordinator’s position shall commence on June 1, 2022. This is a full-time position, with flexibility in determining hours and some work at home flexibility. The position includes an Employee Assistance Program and Simple IRA investment plan. The hourly wage is dependent upon experience and training.
Please send an updated resume, cover letter, and three (3) professional references to Executive Director, Dr. Brenda Myers, at firstname.lastname@example.org